Welcome to the Confirmation Process at Resurrection and St. Paul's! We are excited to have you join us! The Confirmation process begins for teenagers in 9th grade and is a year-round process. A lot of people have questions about Confirmation, and some of this stems from a lack of understanding of what the Sacrament of Confirmation is. There are three typical misconceptions about Confirmation: becoming an adult, choosing to be Catholic or graduating from religious education.
- Misconception #1: You Become an Adult in the Church with the Sacrament of Confirmation. The Sacrament used to be celebrated at birth and now varies in age as to when someone is confirmed. It marks a sign of spiritual maturity, but not being an “adult” in the eyes of the Church.
- Misconception #2: The Sacrament of Confirmation is about “choosing to be Catholic” by “confirming” your faith. The Sacrament of Confirmation is about strengthening and completing the grace given at Baptism. While you must discern if you are ready for this sacrament, you are not “choosing” to become Catholic or making your faith your own. Your baptism made you a Catholic forever. The Lord gives us free will every day to "choose" if we are going to be Catholic or not.
- Misconception #3: You graduate from religious education once you are confirmed and can now choose what is right for you in your faith. Confirmation is a sacrament of initiation. Our faith is a lifelong journey. We can always experience deeper conversion, and Jesus is continually calling us to a deeper relationship with Him.
So then, what is Confirmation?
- It's Transformative: This is the last of the Sacraments of Initiation. This sacrament leaves an indelible mark, which means it's unremovable. You are marking your soul for eternity. You are activating the grace you received at your baptism and becoming the person Christ created you to be.
- It's Missionary Training: By being Confirmed, you are taking the mission of the Catholic Church on as your own: "to go and make disciples of all nations" - Matthew 28:20
- It's Life Changing: This process has the power to change your life. Many teens have begun the Confirmation process unsure if they wanted to be Confirmed or even wanted to remain Catholic after being Confirmed. Many have ended up falling deeper in love with the Lord despite their initial reservations.
Please know the whole CORE team is here to help you! We are here to serve you and your family